I have been practicing Yoga quite a bit these days. Quite a bit as in ~5 days a week. My practice is growing stronger. When I am done with staff in mid-January, I would like to spend some time practicing more that 5 days a week, sometimes even twice daily. I would like to really submerge myself in the practice while I have time. I would like to add meditation to my practice as well as the physical side.
I was speaking with a friend the other day about the concept of practicing yoga. He asked me why it was called practicing as opposed to “playing” or “doing” yoga? I had to think for a bit before responding but answered that it is a practice because Yoga is much more than an activity. The concept of yoga is that the practice and the intention of the activity will spill over to your daily life and become inherent in your being. It is not just an activity you participate in and then leave (such as running, skiing, or playing tennis). A yogi (one who practices yoga), in my mind, is in tune with their body and breath. A yogi is thoughtful, forgiving and grounded in their daily intention- whatever that intention may be. That intention may be love: not only loving those close to them but to love all those around then so completely that any passerby on the street can recognize their love for humanity and the world. That intention may be to be grounded (dependable): to be a foundation for others and the surrounding environment at home, at work or in social settings. The intention may be happiness: maybe finding happiness is the ability to make other’s truly smile. These are just examples, but in my mind finding one’s intention is key to identity. And the best part is, intention can change all the time. Intention may be work one hour, and play/release in another. To me, the best part about Yoga is it’s ability to help me find my intention in that moment which guides my intention for that hour, day, year or life.
You practice yoga because you commit to it beyond the yoga mat/studio. You make it part of your lifestyle. You teach yourself how to define yourself in your breath, mind and bodily awareness.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wise, wise woman. If there's anyone who can project love so universal that passersby cannot help but bask in your glow, it's you, my friend. So sorry we didn't get to talk. Perchance will you be in LA for Thanksgiving? Or will there at least be a chance to chat by phone? Loving you so, CS
Post a Comment