Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Big Step. Big. HUGE.

I’m moving to New York City.

Although I haven’t shared this with many people, my blog is a relatively open forum and most of the people in the world who really care about me, or are interested in what I’m doing with my life, do read up on me and my exploits here.

Now some of you may say, wtf are you thinking? Do you remember the last time you lived there? Yes, I was miserable. But I sincerely believe it was not NYC that made me miserable. It was the time in my life. It was the time in Manhattan’s life. I moved to Manhattan on September 5,2001. That was a tough fall amidst falling buildings and a rebuilding terrorist terrified nation. It was a tough fall for me as I left the shelter of my gated Trinity College, lived alone for the first time in my life and was in a job that gave me no challenge or satisfaction. I was also too far away from Love who was still at school and I found every reason to fight with him to make myself feel like he still cared for and missed me… yes, for some ridiculous reason the fighting made my unstable 22 year old heart feel important. Silly 22 year old girl. Who am I kidding- silly 29 year old girl! If not for my girls in the city, I would have fallen apart.

I look forward to giving Manhattan a second chance. I’ll be moving to the Upper East Side on 89th & 2nd Ave. Almost directly across Central park from where I originally lived. It’s still close enough to the park for me to escape for long green runs - year round. Close enough to the river so I can walk and run along the water. The UES, especially in the 90s where I’ll be, truly feels like a neighborhood as my street is lined with restaurants of every ethnicity and tons of local coffee shops and bars. It’s just on the boarder of Harlem so there’s a little diversity which trickles down in to my hood but mostly it’s a comfortable mix of eclectic young NY couples and long term old school families that have inhabited the city for years in passed down beautiful old Brownstones.

And now the why.

So moving to NYC, yes, a very big move. But even bigger I am moving to New York City with a boy. With Lark, to be exact, who I’ve mentioned in my more recent blogs. We will be living with one another.
Lark has inundated my life like tidal wave. Only a good tidal wave! And not really inundated at all! Ok, so maybe that was a terrible analogy. I just mean to say that he has come fast, hard, without warning and has covered everything. He is my new life.

I read a passage in a book recently that perfectly describes how I see Lark:

“The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere, they’re in each other all along.” ~ RUMI

I have loved before. I have loved in a way I will never love again: with great passion, intensity, and emotional irrationality. I’m not saying that love should be rational. Not in the slightest. But I am saying it should feel natural. As if you don’t even have to think about the rational/irrationality of it because it fits so seamlessly. Because you have no concerns. Because it feels so natural and easy it’s as if you’ve been with that person your whole life- and in a way, you have. Which is why the quote above is so applicable to my Lark.

I trust him, wholeheartedly. I trust him more than I trust myself and I have never felt that way about a man before- outside of maybe my father.

It is this reason, and so many more (which I’m sure I will expel upon at a later date) that I have chosen to move in with Lark. Dose this all make sense to my faithful readers?
Will you all come to visit me in Manhattan, please?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, makes sense...perfect sense! being with the right person does not mean being passionate and over the top all the time...it is wonderful to feel comfortable and relaxed and to see your future together. and yes, i will visit...if you will visit too! :)
l, c

Anonymous said...

Holy sheez! I can't wait to visit you :) Congrats, my dear - you deserve all the happiness and love in the universe.

Anonymous said...

this is some big news! you werent' kidding. We are so overdue for a phone call, that it's bordering on retarded. I think this could be cause for a call, don't you? :) Love you, talk to you soon. When does the move take place?