I am happy.
Nice way to kick off, huh? It’s the first time in 9 months (for an extended period of time, at least). I’m in Florence, Italy which really doesn’t hurt. I’m not staying in the old-main tourist part of the city, but I headed in for a day last weekend and will do so again today.
It’s sunny everyday. It’s sunny today. I woke up earlyish for a Saturday. Opened up my door that leads out to my little balcony in my Hilton Garden Inn hotel room. I’m staring out and up on to the Tuscan Hills. I’ve grabbed my tea and crawled back in bed to write a much-delayed update.
What drives sanity? Mental stability we’re born with? Lack of stress? Life balance? Or could it just be the right kind of human contact. I have a friend here, in Florence. For the first time on CAS since KD & CK on my first review I have a friend on my team. Someone I can talk to about everything (almost everything) and have a good time with. I enjoy her company so much. Problem is, she’s my manager. My new manager. So it has to kind of balance it, right? Be a little cautious of what I do and don’t say. But I feel as if we’ll be friends for a long time, even when we’re done here in Florence. I admire her. She’s under insane amounts of pressure and she’s still able to stay sane. She’s still able to treat all of her 10 associates (way too many for a first review manager) with utter respect. And she’s able to motivate them during a time when motivation is sparse. And she’s able to balance her ABSOLUTELY INSANE manager. It’s really nice to work for someone I respect again, someone whom I worry about, for other reason – but utterly respect.
Why else am I happy? I’m running again. I’m training for Hood to Coast which I’ll do with my beloved GE running friends in three weeks. I hope I don’t fail them. I hope it’s just a wonderful experience and I don’t let them down at all. Either way it will be so nice to see them. I’m happy because I have two weeks left in Italy and then I get to go home for a week before conference – Jury Duty calls. But I think it may end up being more of a vacation then anything, which is wonderful. Why else? Love is coming to visit to spend a weekend with me here in Florence next weekend! I can’t wait to explore a little bit with him. Have some nice meals, see the sites, Be in his presence. Be calm and explorative with him. Show him a little bit of how my life works when I’m out working I the field. I don’t think he has any idea.
I could write a book about my crazy night last Saturday night… my 6 AM night out. But the truth is, the best part of the night was just having the philosophical and flighty (both, at times) with my manager. Oh, and my Blueberry Mojito. Made by a bartender with the most beautiful big blue eyes. Unfortunately when I stood up next to him he came up to my chin. Pity. He still gave us free drinks for the night (BONUS) and tried to take me home… I politely denied the offer. BUT he did give me a ride home on his MOTOR BIKE at 5 in the morning. I mean, can I have a better Italian experience? Riding home after a wonderful conversation filled evening on the back of motorbike in Florence? Whipping through the streets, still buzzing from my last Martini Blanco, as the summer morning dawns? Crawling in to bed, grinning. It was perfect.
Did I mention I’m really looking forward to conference? Nashville, TN. That part is whatever. BUT I want to see friends from my class again. I want to hang out and be close again like we were a year ago at orientation when we first met. We have training after most people leave, so I think that will also be great time.
There’s a lot to look forward to.
Top of the list: the Gelato I plan on consuming while in old town Florence today.
Friday, August 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Have a phenomenal time in Florence, my lovely. Still my favorite city I've visited. If you find a roll of film, it's my mom's...we lost our whole roll of Florence pics. This was when digital cameras were too f'ing expensive. Boo. ANYWAY, have a wonderful time. Say hi to the David. :)
I adore you! I love this post and I am so happy you're happy. Keep us posted. Loving you.
Italy huh? never heard of it and it sounds made up.
On a lighter note, Boston is as gorgeous as ever. We went from 90+ degrees with 80%+ humidity to a fall day and 40 degrees at night. What a country!
Does love have a name? i need to put a stereotypical face to the name so i can alternately praise and voodoo torture him as he either makes you happy and torments you.
hugs!
Post a Comment