Monday, December 10, 2007

A Thank you note

When I was younger, my mother taught me that every time I receive a gift, I should send a thank you note out of consideration and regard for the individual who sent you the gift. But what if your gift has been recent turn of events in life? What if the gift has been a series of events that led you to the place you are currently?

Life, since I left Albuquerque in 2005 has been both blessed and painful. But I was given opportunities I never thought imaginable by working for a company which helped show me new parts of the world and taught me to do work I never thought I was capable of.

Now I have decided to leave and move on to pursuit a path that I think will make me truly happy as opposed to only being challenged and exposed. It will be challenging and exposing, don’t get me wrong. But it will also hope it will allow me to have a community and a life. And hope it will provide me ownership and a love… both in my romantic life, and in my professional one.

But before I go, a brief thank you for last year and 1/2…

Puerto Rico – Thank you for you the warm Atlantic currents that allowed me to sneak out to midnight dips in the ocean during lonely days in San Juan. And thank you for your deluxe hotels that allowed me to live like a queen for three months.

Danbury, CT & Manhattan – Thank you for the long winding tree lined roads that supported my adventurous runs (my running away). Thank you for housing a friend who loved and supported me during tough times. Thank you for your delicious fancy restaurants we indulged in. Thank you for teaching me about the life I didn’t want to lead and the person I didn’t want to be.

Cincinnati, OH – Thank you for teaching me how to drive in the crappiest of weather. Thank you for kind souls at the Sheraton. Thank you for Nick and his patience.

Jacksonville, FL – Thank you for the warmth. Thank you for helping to foster my relationship with Jeremy. Thank you for the bridges to run on.

Madrid & Barcelona, Spain – Thank you for the red wine to supplement my red wine rule. Thank you for the Sangria. Thank you for the Churros con Chocolate. Thank you creating such a patient culture who would work with me and my broken Spanish.

London, England – Thank you for your walking culture. Thank you for the cool taxis and the free breakfasts at the Mariott. Thank you for Green Park.

Athens, Greece – Thank you for the kindest people I’ve ever met. Thank you for your islands that I never visited (besides Hydra) but allowed me to dream.

Frieburg, Germany – Thank you for the river running through town. Thank you for the Beer gardens and the University. Thank you for the chocolates on my pillow every night and the great big ball room that I could do my work & get peppermint tea in. Thank you for my favorite weather.

Florence, Italy – Thank you for Kate. Thank you for the food & wine and calmness. Thank you for your tourist area and GELATTO. Thank you for the Duomo and pizza and sculptures and cobblestone. Thank you for Martini Bianco and the motorcycle rides at 5 in the morning.

Minneapolis, MN – Thank you for trying to make me smile with your sports teams & wonderfully open & kind people. Thank you for that Woman’s race I was able to participate in. Thank you for that one FABULOUS buffet breakfast.

The various Conference locations – thank you for housing our insane group

Corporate America – Thank you for the lessons. And the friends. And the mentors and the pain. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see new parts of the world. Thank you for teaching me about true execution and hard work. Thank you for Anthony, Dana, Judy, Chelo, Kevin, Christopher Robin, Ryan, Maneesh, and Kate… the true ones.

When I walk by a business environment with all the people in their heels and suits… with the stuffy handshakes and fake laughs. Now will I be able to sigh with peace?

I hope so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I am sure you will do amazingly well as you always do. See you on the road, T

Anonymous said...

It feels good to be thankful...it means you have or have had lovely, wonderful things in your life. see you soon!